FAQ Coupling Alignment
We’ve answered all the most common questions about coupling alignment. If you’ve got one that’s not listed here, send us a note via this form with your question.
If Masterflow laser aligns the pump & motor in the factory, why do we need to get it aligned again on site?
Even though our pump bases are strong, transport, rigging and installation can all affect the alignment. Hence it is ESSENTIAL to check the alignment AFTER installation is complete and BEFORE the pump goes into operation. This will contribute considerably to extending the lifespan of the pumpset.
Do I need to have power connected before alignment is done?
This is not essential. But if you do have power connected, it means you can run the pump while our service technicians are there. This way, our technician can address any concerns while he’s there, which could prevent an emergency.
I want to run some pre-wash chemicals through the system. Can I do this before coupling alignment?
We know site activities are hard to coordinate, so pumps CAN be operated for a few hours on low speeds before alignment. If you hear any strange noises whatsoever, stop immediately and contact us at 02 9748 2022.
I want to start commissioning – the chiller guys will be here soon. Can you come before they get here?
It is always preferrable to perform alignment before you operate the pumps at full speed for any period of time. We are happy for you to begin commissioning ahead of us visiting site IF the following criteria is met (but please still contact our service division before doing so):
- Isolate the pump supply power and remove the pump coupling guard to confirm that the coupling alignment is less than 2mm out of alignment. If so, please proceed to step 3 and continue from there. Do this with a straight edge.
- If the coupling alignment is confirmed to be 2mm or more out of alignment, the pumps must NOT be run until alignment is corrected.
- Bleed ALL air from the pump via test points etc. at the pump’s suction and discharge points.
- Check that the shaft rotation is correct according to what is indicated on the pump.
- Ensure pumpsets are running smoothly with no unusual noises and/or excessive Amp draws.
Why do I need to have my system filled with water before pump alignment is done? Does it really matter?
When the system is filled with water, it has reached its full operating weight. The pipework hanger and supports will then need to be adjusted to ensure there is absolutely NO strain on the pumpset. If we align the pump before the system is filled, the alignment will be impacted once the system is filled, and hangers adjusted.
How do I know my springs are correctly adjusted?
It is important the pump base spring mounts are installed and correctly adjusted. The springs are solely for the pumpset. Check out this video for the correct procedure and adjustment.
Do all pumps need to be aligned?
No. Only long-coupled pumps. Close-coupled (motor pumps) do not need coupling alignment. However, pipework hangers do need to be adjusted so no strain is bearing upon the pumps. This is essential for trouble-free operation.